Sunday, May 27, 2012

Childhood Flashback

As I was growing up, I was surrounded by all things aviation. By the time I was ten, I could tell you how a plane worked, what its parts were, and why they were important. From a very young age, I fell in love with the complete exhilaration that comes from taking off and landing. My dad's enthusiasm for airplanes rubbed off on me. I remember my parents taking me and my sisters to airshows all throughout my childhood. Since airplanes have always been a part of me, I was excited to head up to Hill Air Force Base this weekend for their air show.
I headed up to the base with my parents and Skyler, where we met the Stone family for an adventure filled day. I knew it would be chilly and possibly rainy, but did not know it would be freeeeezing and pouring rain! And when I say pouring, I mean I haven't seen anything quite like that in a while. It was a torrential downpour. We spent over two hours huddled in a hangar with hundreds and hundreds of other people as we waited for the storm to pass. What a day!

Skyler and me on the way up
This kid sure is awesome. He's the best little brother I could ask for.
Me, mom, dad, and Skyler... this was about an hour and a half into our time in the hangar.

Aunt Melinda, me, and mom just hanging out.

Waiting for the Thunderbirds to start! :)
 
In front of a ginormous plane. Seriously, this thing was huge.

This sums up how I felt about the storm. Shortly after I took this, the wind destroyed my umbrella. It completely turned it inside out. Turns out, that makes for a very ineffective umbrella.

Last, but not least... the THUNDERBIRDS!!! These were so awesome. There's nothing that compares to the sound or feeling of these planes flying overhead. The rumble that you can feel from your head to your toes is indescribable. It's got to be one of my favorite things of all time. And the tricks they do are pretty amazing, too.


3 comments:

Jill said...

You need to come to an Air Force football game! Flyovers before every single one. I'll be expecting you this fall...

Kelsey M. said...

ah so sad we had to miss the airshow. so many memories! although i'm not sad we had to miss the weather during the show...haha. next year!

maremee said...

sooooo cool