Monday, February 8, 2010

Words of 9th Grade Wisdom

I was helping a student with an assignment today after school, and my phone happened to ring. (side note: my ring tone is "Bleeding Love") I quickly silenced it and apologized to her. She just laughed and said, "Oh, it's okay. You have like the worst ring tone ever. I hate that song. It's like totally last year. I like Lady Gaga."
Well, at least she was honest. And good thing I don't really care if they approve of my music choices. It just made me laugh.

Also, I was forced to once again ask myself the question (this has crossed my mind at least weekly since school started... today was just particularly bad): "Why do 9th graders SMELL SO BAD?" I want to tell them that attempting to cover their post-P.E. stench with various noxious body sprays does not work very effectively, and yes, I can still smell them... from across the room... and so can their classmates. I pity the kids who have to sit next to the especially odiferous ones. Hopefully by the time they graduate high school (or hopefully sooner), they have discovered the magic of a bar of soap.

And... to the sweet girl who picked up her pencil the other day and proceeded to talk on/to it like a phone, while I was teaching, nonetheless, I would like to say that perhaps she should not draw attention to herself in such odd ways. But, I must admit that it provided a bit of entertainment as went through my day.

(Sorry if you find these stories pointless and boring... I just wanted to remember some lovely moments from my crazy kids!)

7 comments:

Valerie Hall said...

You are such a writer! I love your bits of nonsense:)

michael. mindy. dane. said...

Oh man. Aren't they fabulous?

You are nice. I tell my 7th graders almost weekly "Just a friendly reminder that we're in 7th grade and should ALL be wearing deodorant!" They don't get it, but I'm not a fraid to tell them. My 9th graders don't smell. I guess I lucked out!

Jan said...

9th graders are very interesting, aren't they? (in many ways!)

They are lucky to have you.

maremee said...

I LOVE the pencil talking girl story. I would really like to meet her. Also Logan, I've been meaning to tell you this since like January 1st, Bleeding Love really is SO last year and I think it's time to invest in a new phone ring. :) (This coming from the girl that has HSM 3 as a ring tone...haha)

annie said...

And I thought only 4th graders were stinky. Who woulda known?

Kelsey M. said...

you should probs get gaga face as your next ringtone. or not. please don't actually. i mean i'm not around you a whole lot but if i heard gaga face every time your phone rang i think i'd throw it across the room. that's all. oh and i love your 9th grader stories.

Karin said...

Thoseare great stories and made me laugh. I feel bad about the stinky kids though - no fun!