Friday, July 27, 2012

In which I learned how to be a woodworker. Kind of.

*Background: Power tools scare the living daylights out of me. I don't even like to use a power drill. And you can forget about me coming near a saw as its blade goes whizzing around and around, threatening to quickly amputate anything that might get in its way. No thank you. I prefer to remain a safe distance from such things. 

*Fast forward. I was recently having a conversation with a friend, who, when learning that I was terrified of tools, dared me to do one thing a day that scared me, starting with doing something with my dad's woodworking tools. I sat on that for a day or two and finally came to the conclusion that I might as well! What did I have to lose (besides a limb)? 

So today was the day that I sucked up my fear and went for it. My dad taught me how to turn a rolling pin on his lathe. Unlike when using a saw, I was the one in control of the blade. Still, sticking a blade into a chunk of wood that is revolving at a blurring speed is a bit intimidating. But, oh my goodness, SO FUN! Sawdust was a flyin', the lathe was whirring, and I was carving. What. A. Blast. 

Alas, here are some photos of the blessed event. 

Safety goggles are super attractive.

The chunk of wood before I got to it.

See? I'm that good that I can carve without even looking.
haha jk lol. So not true.

See these eyes? That's focus. Well, and [safety goggles] too. (10 points if you can name that movie)
My eyes were glued to that speedily spinning chunk-o-wood.
My whole self was pretty much covered like this in sawdust... I may or may not have resembled Sasquatch.

Just about done!

Voila! The final product. A fabulously functional rolling pin.
Not too shabby, eh? I conquered a fear and came out unscathed. I even walked away with something I will actually use. Now if you'll excuse me, I suppose I will go help my mum make some sugar cookies with my newly turned treasure. :)

2 comments:

Jill said...

You are awesome! And I'm completely coveting your rolling pin. I may or may not try to steal it.

Kelsey M. said...

go loges!