Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Funny Story

A couple of weeks ago, I got a call from the secretary in the stake. A member of the stake presidency wanted to meet with me, which set my mind reeling as to what they wanted with me. Panic set in at this point. Turns out they just wanted me to say the closing prayer in the Saturday night session. Sweet. I figured I would be able to only call minimal attention to myself, seeing as how it's a prayer... and everyone should be closing their eyes.

Fast forward to tonight. We sing the rest hymn, and then the counselor gets up to announce the rest of the program. He announced the rest of the speakers and the closing hymn. The rest of his announcement went as follows:
"And our closing prayer will be offered by Brother Logan Koster. Logan, are you here? Will you please stand up so I can make sure you are here?"
Don't worry... I was already on the stand... and as I felt my face getting hotter, I knew all hopes of drawing little attention to myself were gone. After a few snickers from the congregation and a few pointing fingers, he turned around to see me. And then with a shocked look on his face turned back to the microphone and said, "Oh! It's a sister! Sister Logan Koster will give our closing prayer." Poor guy was mortified. He apologized quite humbly after the meeting ended. I assured him he wasn't the only one to have made the mistake. I must say, however, this was the first time it happened to me in such a large setting.
I found it all quite amusing. So much for only having minimal attention called to myself. :)

(I realize the attention grabber could have been much worse... tripping, falling, clothing malfunctions, etc. Thank goodness it wasn't! And at least it wasn't something that I did to myself. I do feel bad for the counselor, though. Poor guy.)

6 comments:

annie said...

That is too funny Logan. I get just as nervous giving a prayer as I do a talk. Wierd, I know. Have a happy week. Give me a call. I would love to catch up. I've been craving Red Mango. ;)

Jan said...

Laughing out loud -- not so easy to be anonymous when they make you stand up and then realize you are NOT a man. ha!!

You're a good sport -- love you! xoxo

maremee said...

That's hilarious. Poor guy announcing poor you.

How Sweet it is! said...

Way too funny! Who knew naming you Logan would cause such confusion.

Karin said...

Oh, poor Logan but my goodness I bet he felt a lot more awkward than you. That is hilarious! I bet you gave a great prayer.

Valerie Hall said...

That is so funny. I am sure that guy felt so bad!