Thursday, May 27, 2010

It's Over Already?

How can it be May 27 already? I mean, it really fees like school started only a month or two ago. The school year flew by. Today was the last day. It was a very bittersweet day for me. I knew it was coming, and I knew it would be hard to say goodbye to my kids and colleagues. But I didn't know it would be as hard as it was. Those kids were my kids. I became rather attached to them. I loved seeing them progress and change. I loved getting to know them. I loved hearing about what was going on in their lives. I loved the chance to celebrate with them, and also to mourn with them. It made my day when they would come bouncing into my room saying, "Miss Koster, Miss Koster! Guess what?" and would proceed to tell me something exciting that is going on. But most of all, I loved getting to see their faces and teach (and learn from) them for the past 9 months. They taught me patience (lots of it, too), understanding, how to laugh at things, and most importantly, how to love. Hopefully I was able to reach at least one of them. If that happened, I would be completely satisfied, for that is why I teach.

5 comments:

Jan said...

If that's how you feel, you are exactly where you should be - teaching. Happy summer! (love you! xoxo)

michael. mindy. dane. said...

Tear! I totally hear you! It's SO hard being with them all year and then suddenly having them leave. Especially when you're not going back to the school!

I've been gonna ask you...how did you like the English dept? And more importantly, how did you like Yogi? (that would be Scott). I feel like we should discuss!

How Sweet it is! said...

They were lucky to have you as a teacher, and I'm blessed to have you as my daughter!

Kelsey M. said...

awww. you were prolly the best darn english teacher around. :)

michael. mindy. dane. said...

Agreed. I didn't get to know Rebecca very well. Scott was pretty weird. Or very weird, I'd say. But perfectly nice. Christa's room was across from his and when I'd wait at the door he'd always try to start conversations about the most random stuff! Shan was fun. Courtney was not my BF, but was nice to my face. That history teacher...Shan's best friend?? I liked her and Shan, but I heard they were great and talking crap behind your back. I never found out. Yes. I was there for the last 6 weeks. And I don't think I commented on your last post, but I felt the same way on Lagoon Day! I kept tripping out that I was there as a teacher instead of a student! Oh, and this one lady who always subbed. She had dark hair and was kinda crazy and always talked to me about her daughter who was a health education teacher. I LOVED her!